November 17, 2022
11 Best Document Collaboration Software Tools in 2023
Document collaboration software makes it possible for you and your team to work more productively and innovate together in real-time.
There are many document collaboration tools in the market today, making it tricky to pick the right one for your business.
But, fret not! Here's everything you need to know about document collaboration tools. We’ll also highlight the 11 best document collaboration software to help you get going.
Let’s get started!
What is Document Collaboration Software?
Document collaboration software provides the right platform for teams to work effectively together. No matter what type of document you're working on, you can rely on document collaboration tools to help make sense of it all.
Multiple team members can edit, update, and comment on a document simultaneously, making it a truly collaborative effort. Version conflicts are avoided with the correct document collaboration software, which can handle multiple, real-time edits.
Benefits of Document Collaboration Tools
1. Reduces Feedback Time
Employees can obtain feedback and make decisions faster when information is easily available. Employees only need to send a link to a document to collect feedback in real-time. There will be no more fiddling with emails and different document versions.
2. Improves Team Productivity
Employee productivity increases when they have the correct software to share files and collaborate on editing. Less time is wasted looking for the proper document, and all files are saved directly in the cloud. Because multiple people can edit a file at the same time, the process of collaborating on a document is sped up and version conflicts are avoided.
3. Encourages Open Communication
Document collaboration tools promote open communication within teams. It may be more convenient to convey your opinions in a document rather than wasting time in long meetings, and documents can be shared with the rest of the team to promote their contribution.
4. Supports Remote Working Environment
Employees do not need to be present in the office together to collaborate on a project when using a document collaboration platform. The software can easily be accessed from any device, anywhere, anytime, and all you need to collaborate on files is an active internet connection.
Top 11 Document Collaboration Software Tools
Contracts are the exclusive source of truth for your company. Contractbook enables modern organizations to transform manual operations into completely automated workflows via end-to-end contract management platform. This means that anyone, regardless of role or familiarity, can work effortlessly with contracts throughout their full lifecycle.
You can easily create and sign documents, collaborate with your team, maintain all of your documents in one location, and automate the entire process to increase productivity.
Contractbook uses contract data to power growth that can be adapted by sales teams, HR teams, legal departments, and operations via robust add-ons.
- Contract lifecycle management
- Customized templates for faster documentation
- Completion tracking and document analysis
- Multi-party signing and specialty contracts
- Version control
- G2: 4.9/5 (43 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (58 reviews)
2. Google Docs
Google Docs is one of the most popular and widely used cloud document collaboration platforms today. Even at this moment, I’m writing this article on Google Docs itself.
You can make all of your adjustments online, and Google Docs preserve all prior versions of your work for you to revert to whenever you want.
It operates primarily online, so there is no need to save local files on your computer. You can share files with anyone who has a Google account by sending a simple link or sending an email notification to their email address, and you can specify whether they have editor rights or view-only access.
- Free online word processor
- Multiple sharing with permissions
- Comments and suggestions for easy feedback
- Supports images and gifs
- Find and replace feature to find terms faster
- Autosave to keep you secure
- Easy file import
- Lets you save files in various formats
- G2: 4.6/5 (40000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (27000+ reviews)
3. Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word has been around for almost three decades and is still one of the most popular work editors in the world. When it comes to composing, editing, and formatting text files, MS Word has become second nature for the majority of PC users. The well-known ribbon-style formatting toolbar provides users with a plethora of options for editing their documents whenever they see fit.
Microsoft has transferred the old Word editor to the cloud with Word online, attempting to compete with a new generation of editors that have developed. Word Online has collaboration features that allow everyone to edit at the same time and eliminate the need for email chains.
- Multiple templates for quick editing
- Distraction-free mode
- Documents can be translated into your native language
- Built-in collaboration
- Spell check, and grammar check
- Cloud and local support
- G2: 4.7/5 (1628 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (1364 reviews)
4. monday.com workdocs
monday.com is an all-in-one work management platform that can be customized to fit teams of any size. You can use monday.com for project management, marketing, sales, operations, HR, development, and many other use cases. All of your work, procedures, and tools can be managed in a single Work OS.
Monday Workdocs enables you to connect and collaborate on your ideas in one location. You can collaborate in real time, share comments, and drag and drop text without interfering with other team members. Real-time components such as monday.com boards, dashboards, movies, and more can be used to bring your documents to life. As you work, every piece is automatically synchronized.
- Co-edit in real-time
- Tagging team members to keep things clear
- Intuitive drag-and-drop interface
- Embed boards, videos, and more directly into work docs
- Auto-sync and update
- Checklist to keep a tab of all your tasks
- G2: 4.7/5 (6000+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (2900+ reviews)
Document360 platform is more than just a document collaboration tool. The software has an intuitive user interface that lets multiple users work simultaneously on documents. Previous versions are automatically saved and can be restored whenever required.
It has an integrated knowledge base that provides a centralized hub to capture and store information.
This platform simplifies the creation and sharing of content for review. Also, it has built-in search functionality, allowing users to quickly locate the information they need.
- Maintain multiple versions of articles
- Localize your knowledge base in multiple languages
- Discussion and comments for team collaboration
- Article lifecycle to know an article in which stage
- Export and import your articles in one click
- Make use of automatic scheduled backups and/or manual backups.
- Integrations include Zendesk, Intercom, Freshdesk, Drift, Zapier, Microsoft Teams, Slack, and many other helpdesks, chatbots, and CRO tools.
- G2: 4.7/5 (281 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (118 reviews)
6. ClickUp Docs
ClickUp is a multi-featured project management platform that comes with document collaboration capabilities. ClickUp Docs lets you save corporate and project information with real-time updates and modifications.
Docs collaboration detection notifies you when a team member views, comments on, or updates a document, so you know who is collaborating. Real-time syncing ensures that the most recent version of a document is replicated on all contributor devices.
ClickUp offers extensive project management features with document collaboration. However, if you are looking for an extensive document collaboration platform with minimal project management capabilities, you should choose Notion instead of ClickUp which we will discuss later in this article.
- Real-time editing to maximize collaboration
- Detects when a team member views, comments, or edits a document
- Get a clear picture of who contributed to the document by adding the Authors
- Nesting to organize documents within documents
- Permission to keep docs public or private
- Doc styles to present your docs in a better way
- G2: 4.7/5 (5081 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.7/5 (3212 reviews)
Notion is a team collaboration tool that allows individuals to easily collaborate on project documents and files. In Notion, you can connect your teams, projects, and documents to decrease organizational silos and improve teamwork. Businesses can construct and share a comprehensive knowledge base for their initiatives.
To promote communication and responsibility, team members can make comments on tasks. Notion makes it simple to share websites with coworkers. You can configure permissions so that contributors can only access your content in the way you intend.
- Blocks to build your pages
- Custom and easy-to-use text editor
- Wikis - directory of documents
- Various database views
- Public pages
- Numerous templates to get started
- G2: 4.6/5 (950+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.8/5 (850+ reviews)
Confluence is a document collaboration software built by Atlassian. The platform makes it simple for teams to create, share, and collaborate on documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and photos. It makes it simple to keep track of project progress.
Team members can share PDFs, documents, and images, track each version and modification made to a page, and connect to Jira to gain insight into their development work through automated linking, simple issue creation, and reports.
- Meeting notes to keep teams organized
- Easy access to designated space for client information
- Better team collaboration with comments and mentions
- Version control ensuring no information is lost
- New changes notifications to keep teams updated
- Exports to various formats, like PDF, EPUB, etc.
- G2: 4.1/5 (3485 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (2456 reviews)
9. Zoho WorkDrive
Zoho WorkDrive is a document creation and editing tool that is ideal for enterprises with a large number of documents to work on. It provides modern teams with cloud storage and administration.
Team folders allow you to organize and keep your data in one location. You may assign roles to your teams, such as organizer, writer, and editor, so you can regulate who gets access. You can manage your team's data and usage from a single dashboard, keeping track of any changes made to your files.
- Team Folders to store and manage files in a shared space
- Role-based access for Team Folder’s members
- Keep track of every byte
- Instant notification for changes and updates
- Labels and data templates to organize files
- Share documents right from the mail
- G2: 4.4/5 (107 reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (39 reviews)
10. Dropbox Paper
Dropbox Paper is a document collaborative editor aimed at design teams. It enables you to collaborate and work on projects with your team by including rich media in addition to text and photographs. You can easily add Dropbox files, YouTube videos, social networking postings, and other media to the document.
By clicking the "share" button, you can easily invite your team members to see or edit the document via a personalized link. You may also form groups and share documents with your colleagues to ensure that no one falls behind.
- To-do lists with deadlines to assist your team in planning
- Timelines to sketch out each stage of a project
- Rich media integration to create dynamic documents
- Note-taking feature for personal planning
- Team @mentions to boost the visibility of comments
- Templates to get started quickly
- G2: 4.1/5 (4400+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.4/5 (150+ reviews)
GetAccept is the G2 crowd-leading digital sales room provider. It empowers revenue teams to increase win rates by engaging and understanding buyers from the opportunity to sign deals.
The digital sales room is a microsite where sellers and buyers, with all their stakeholders, can collaborate and access content relevant to the deal cycle. This platform creates an authentic buying experience and improves sales efficiency through deal and pipeline insights, custom sales collateral, personalized videos, and seamless integrations.
- Live chat and video recording
- Real-time collaboration
- Document tracking and analytics
- Contract management
- Proposal templates
- Automatic reminders
- Electronic signatures
- G2: 4.6/5 (500+ reviews)
- Capterra: 4.6/5 (29 reviews)
Using the right document collaboration tool improves teamwork and guarantees that your organization is performing to its full potential. You save countless hours of work, and your staff is happier as a result of their increased productivity.
So, analyze your needs, and go for the tool that makes more sense to you.
Delivered to your inbox every month
What’s a Rich Text element?
The rich text element allows you to create and format headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, images, and video all in one place instead of having to add and format them individually. Just double-click and easily create content.
Static and dynamic content editing
A rich text element can be used with static or dynamic content. For static content, just drop it into any page and begin editing. For dynamic content, add a rich text field to any collection and then connect a rich text element to that field in the ssadettings panel. Voila!
How to customize formatting for each rich text
Headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, figures, images, and figure captions can all be styled after a class is added to the rich text element using the "When inside of" nested selector system.