The Company and “Employee” are collectively referred to as the “Parties”.
This Social Media Policy is considered understood and accepted upon valid signature by both Parties.
Social media has changed the way that we all act and interact. The Company recognizes that all Employee(s) will likely utilize social media in their day-to-day lives. This Social Media Policy was created to ensure that those working for or with the Company are using social media responsibly, so as to ensure the interests of the Company are protected.
The purpose of this Social Media Policy is not only to help employees ensure a fruitful working relationship with the Company but also to clarify the specific rules regarding what may be shared about the Company (if anything).
The personal activity of Employee(s) on the internet may be subject to this Social Media Policy if it impacts the business of the Company, Company employees, or the work of the Employee(s) at the Company.
The following definition will be used for "social media" in the context of this Policy: mobile and web-based applications for user-generated content, communication, and social interaction. This definition includes, but is not limited to, the following social media platforms: blogs, online communities, discussion forums, review sites, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Youtube, Reddit, Google+ and any other related or similar websites
1. GENERAL: This Social Media Policy will cover the following:
- Social media activities of Employee(s) while at work
- Social media activities of Employee(s) while utilizing Company electronic devices.
- Restrictions on representing the Company online
- Social media activities of Employee(s) while on their own time and not utilizing Company property
Please be advised that this Social Media Policy asks Employee(s) to assume that all of their online activities are publicly visible and available at any given time. Employee(s) may be subject to termination for violating any of the Company's internal policies, such as posts which may display unlawful harassment or discrimination or which may include racial slurs, epithets, and/or derogatory remarks, stereotypes, jokes, offensive visuals based on race, national origin, age, disability, marital status or other legally protected classifications.
2. UTILIZING SOCIAL MEDIA WHILE AT WORK:
Personal social media use [is/ is not] permitted at work.
3. UTILIZING SOCIAL MEDIA WHILE USING COMPANY ELECTRONIC DEVICES:
Personal social media use [is / is not] permitted on Company devices.
4. RESTRICTIONS ON REPRESENTING THE COMPANY ONLINE:
Employees who are permitted to access the Company social media accounts in order to post content online will be specifically notified as such in writing.
Unless this is specifically authorized, Employee(s) may not utilize the Company's official social media accounts or represent the Company online in any way. If the Employee(s) are permitted to officially represent the Company online, the following guidelines apply:
[The following are considered examples of guidelines. Feel free to insert your own:]
- Be respectful and polite. Never get into arguments with customers or clients.
- Avoid making promises. If dealing with a customer service issue, always offer to speak to the customer or client on the phone, rather than making express promises online.
- Employee(s) should not answer questions that are not within their expertise.
- Never share sensitive Company information, even if it is not subject to a written policy. Sensitive Company information includes customer and client lists, marketing strategies, financial information, protected intellectual property, sales numbers, or any other information which is not generally publicly available.
- Remain in constant contact with the marketing team regarding posted content.
- Avoid deleting customer or client comments or questions.
- Do not post anything which may display unlawful harassment or discrimination or which may include racial slurs, epithets, and/or derogatory remarks, stereotypes, jokes, offensive visuals based on race, national origin, age, disability, marital status or other legally protected classifications.
- Correct false information about the Company as soon as possible.
- Never violate the intellectual property rights of any third party. Obtain proper permission to use any content, and always use the correct attribution form.
- Be mindful of the following rules: [List the rules employees must follow when representing the company online].
5. PERSONAL SOCIAL MEDIA ACTIVITIES:
While the activities of Employee(s) on their own time and devices are their own business and responsibility, the Company requests that the Employee(s) keep the following in mind for their own personal social media activities:
[These are examples of guidelines for personal use of social media. Feel free to edit or add your own.]
- Always act according to the terms and conditions of the social media websites
- Employees should ensure that it is clear that their views are not the Company's views.
- Always act lawfully.
- Avoid discussing illegal activities, e.g. drug use.
- Always ask others for permission before posting about them.
- Please keep in mind that if the Company discovers any objectionable content on the personal social media accounts of Employee(s), the Employee(s) may be subject to termination or other disciplinary measures.
- While adhering to the Company's policies, employees are encouraged to use their social networking platforms to support our activities through their personal social media accounts.
6. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
- All Company social media accounts will remain owned by the Company, regardless of any authorization received to post on them.
- The Company reserves the right to any "friends," "followers," or contacts that are gained through social media and e-correspondence (email addresses, social networks, blogs, etc.) developed on behalf of the Company.
- Employees will respect the confidentiality of customers, clients, suppliers, other employees, and the Company as a whole by not disclosing private information on social media.
- If public information may be shared, the Employee(s) should disclose their relationship to the Company, customer, client, supplier, or other employee.
- Any media inquiries received regarding the Company must be directed to [person or title responsible for media inquiries] immediately. Employee(s) may not respond to any media inquiries without express written authorization from the Company.
- The Employee(s) may not compete with the Company in any way, including by selling products or services which the Company may sell.
- Company-related employee social media activity can and will be monitored. Violation of Policy guidelines is subject to employee discipline, up to and including termination.
- The Employee(s) are legally responsible for anything they post on their personal social media accounts, including failure to disclose relationships in marketing, or posting about any unlawful activity. If the Employee(s) violate any laws while posting on Company social media accounts, they may be required to indemnify the Company for any damages caused.
All employees are required to comply with the rules and regulations listed in the Employee Handbook, as well as this Social Media Policy.